empressreece

Hooked on Books

Avid Multi-Genre Reader. Lover of Books with Unique Settings. Audiobook Fanatic. Sweet Tea Addict. Mom of Two Boys & Mistress of Two Very Energetic Black Kittens.  -Empress Reece

Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea
Steven Callahan
Subhuman (A Unit 51 Novel)
Michael McBride
Despite Lupus: How to Live Well with a Chronic Illness (1)
Sara Gorman
A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie
Kathryn Harkup
Progress: 3 %

Descent into Trapdoor

Last Words - Michael Koryta

One of the things that really attracts me to a novel is the setting. I'm a sucker for books set in exotic locales like India and the African plains, or the cold Arctic ice, back-country mountains, bottom depths of the ocean etc. etc. Last Words is about the rescue and death of a teenage girl, Sarah Martin, in an underground cave system called Trapdoor Caverns so I was hooked from the preview. Trapdoor is actually a real cave system in Indiana and in the book, a cave explorer Ridley Barnes, who suffered memory loss after helping in the rescue, recruits Mark Novak and his company Innocence Inc. to come to Garrison, Indiana and help him find out what happened.

Michael Koryta is an excellent story teller and I think he does a good job of immersing you in the setting, from the small-town of Garrison to deep in the underground caverns. I also really liked the character of Mark Novak and from reading the ending, I think we are going to be seeing more of him. I believe this may be the start of his own series. I really liked Koryta's supernatural and stand-alone books but I didn't care for the Lincoln Perry series so it's good to see he's starting a new one if that is the case.