empressreece

Hooked on Books

Avid Multi-Genre Reader. Lover of Books with Unique Settings. Audiobook Fanatic. Sweet Tea Addict. Mom of Two Boys & Mistress of Two Very Energetic Black Kittens.  -Empress Reece

Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea
Steven Callahan
Subhuman (A Unit 51 Novel)
Michael McBride
Despite Lupus: How to Live Well with a Chronic Illness (1)
Sara Gorman
A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie
Kathryn Harkup
Progress: 3 %

Reading progress update: I've read 27%.

Malus Domestica (Volume 1) - S.A. Hunt

As I continued my reading last night, I surprisingly, came across the "N" word and references to "colored people" used by one of the characters, a cat "familiar" who belongs to one of the witches. A "familiar" is basically someone who does the witches bidding.

Honestly, it immediately offended me and unfortunately, put me off what was a perfectly good story before those words appeared. I asked myself do authors really still write those derogatory terms in their books today and why?

This was not a story set in an earlier time period about slaves or civil war for example; this is a "modern day" horror story about hunting for witches, so I think the use of those words were totally unnecessary to the story at hand. Yes, the story is set in rural Georgia, in a town named Blackfield, but that doesn't mean everyone from the Southern area is prejudice or uses racial slurs so if the author was intending to set the atmosphere for the the area and its locals, I can think of a number of other ways to do that besides using derogatory terms which will offend some of your reading audience.

I actually currently live in Alabama so I'm not deluded in thinking we don't have "any" racial issues in the South because I'm sure there are still some but I'd like to think we have come a lot further then that and the use of those terms in the story is not a good, true representation of all the people that live in the South. I could rant all day on this but the long and short of it is, why risk alienating your audience by using disrespectful and controversial terms that are not essential to the spirit and heart of the story, when you could easily choose to substitute with something else?

**I received this ARC from NetGalley & S.A. Hunt in exchange for an honest review.