EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

Virgin or No Virgin?

No Virgin Island: A Sabrina Salter Mystery - C. Michele Dorsey

When I saw the cover and title of this new series, I just had to read it. Unfortunately though, it didn't quite live up to my expectations. LOL  I'm still trying to figure out why the title was called "No" Virgin Island, other then the series being set in the Virgin Islands; but what does "No" have to do with it?? There was nothing in the story that pertained to the title. Maybe I missed something there but if anyone figures that out let me know please. : )

The story itself is based on two friends, Sabrina and Henry, who leave their past messed-up lives behind and move to St. John in the Virgin Islands to manage exclusive rental properties. Then one of the guests is murdered and Sabrina's past is brought to the forefront again and she finds herself having to clear her name.

I think I expected more actual detecting by Sabrina and/or Henry but except for Sabrina searching the murdered guest's villa at the very beginning that was really it. The book is fairly short too so there wasn't a whole lot of time devoted to character development which is probably why I never really felt anything for any of them. Also, the section at the end, in the police station, is really so unbelievable, it's hilarious. I can't say much more then that without giving it away but if you read it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

If there is a second book, I may read it to see if there is any growth in Dorsey's writing since this was her very first novel but it won't be at the top of my already over-extended TBR.