EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

"The Illuminae Files_01" -Survivor Review

— feeling amazing
Illuminae - Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

That was amazing-such a beautiful story and ending! Really one of the best books I've read in a while. If this isn't already under contract for a movie production, it definitely will be.

The gist of the story is, two of the main characters, Kady and Ezra, have just broken up and aren't even speaking to each other when their planet is attacked and invaded by a rival corporation. They end up fleeing onto evacuating warships and are separated in the chaos. Ezra is called on to flight duty and Kady spends her time hacking the systems in order to find out more about what's going on. A number of other things happen but in essence, the survivors end up in the fight of their lives trying to save the ship and themselves.

The story really is just fantastic in its own right but the real brilliance of it comes from the format it's told in, through the AI transmissions, pictures, interviews, emails, surveillance footage summaries etc. Annie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff are seriously my new two favorite authors! I can't wait until the second part of the trilogy is released. It can't happen soon enough.