empressreece

Hooked on Books

Avid Multi-Genre Reader. Lover of Books with Unique Settings. Audiobook Fanatic. Sweet Tea Addict. Mom of Two Boys & Mistress of Two Very Energetic Black Kittens.  -Empress Reece

Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea
Steven Callahan
Subhuman (A Unit 51 Novel)
Michael McBride
Despite Lupus: How to Live Well with a Chronic Illness (1)
Sara Gorman
A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie
Kathryn Harkup
Progress: 3 %

"Powerless" -Could you survive without it?

Powerless - Tim Washburn

I could tell from the start that I was really going to like this book. It opens with the world being hit by a massive geomagnetic solar storm that destroys the entire electrical system which is basically the foundation for everything we use to function on, on a daily basis. The story is told from multiple points of view such as doctors in a hospital, the president and his staff, scientists, pilots, and families across the U.S. and it shows you how these people are effected by the loss of power, water, food, law enforcement etc. and their fight to survive amidst the chaos. It was very enlightening and really made you think. It doesn't seem too far out there to think that it could possibly happen to us one day.

I know when  severe tornadoes devastated our area several years ago we lost power too. It was only for a couple of weeks though and it was still miserable just for that short period of time. We decided to drive north until we found a hotel in another state just to get back in our comfort zone but can you imagine not having that option to go anywhere else and having to live like that for years! They literally went from living in the 21st century to living in the 17th-18th century within a day. Just thinking about it makes me want to enroll in survival skill classes and go out and start stockpiling gas, generators, food, guns, horses and anything else I can think of.

The author does a great job though of bringing the disaster to life and really making you empathize with the characters and their individual predicaments. If you like post-apocalyptic natural disaster stories, then this is a good one!

*I received this ARC from NetGalley & Kensington Books in exchange for an honest review.

Professional Reader Challenge Participant