empressreece

Hooked on Books

Avid Multi-Genre Reader. Lover of Books with Unique Settings. Audiobook Fanatic. Sweet Tea Addict. Mom of Two Boys & Mistress of Two Very Energetic Black Kittens.  -Empress Reece

Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea
Steven Callahan
Subhuman (A Unit 51 Novel)
Michael McBride
Despite Lupus: How to Live Well with a Chronic Illness (1)
Sara Gorman
A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie
Kathryn Harkup
Progress: 3 %

The Aokigahara Forest

The Suffering - Rin Chupeco

The Suffering is the second book in The Girl from the Well series by Rin Chupeco. Tark's friend and mentor goes missing in Japan in the Aokigahara forest a.k.a. the suicide forest. So, Tark, Oikuko (Tark's ghost) & Callie go to Japan to help find her. The suicide forest is actually a real place in Japan which makes it even creepier and the perfect setting for this story.

Link to Article about Aokigahara Forest:

I liked this second book a lot better then the first book, The Girl from the Well. When I started reading the first book, I didn't think I was going to care for it because of some of the prose and the way it switched POVs between Oikuko and Tark. The switches weren't very clear so it was a little confusing and it took a little while to get use to. Once I did though, I liked it a lot more.  Well this book is written a lot better! You can tell the author's writing has improved. It's written from Tark's POV and I didn't have any issues with the narration. So if you didn't care for the first either, you should still give this one a try. It's a great ghost story- very creepy, with the perfect eerie atmosphere & setting.