empressreece

Hooked on Books

Avid Multi-Genre Reader. Lover of Books with Unique Settings. Audiobook Fanatic. Sweet Tea Addict. Mom of Two Boys & Mistress of Two Very Energetic Black Kittens.  -Empress Reece

Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea
Steven Callahan
Subhuman (A Unit 51 Novel)
Michael McBride
Despite Lupus: How to Live Well with a Chronic Illness (1)
Sara Gorman
A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie
Kathryn Harkup
Progress: 3 %

Frexing like Rabbits...

— feeling evil grin
Across the Universe - Beth Revis

*Very minor spoilers in first paragraph*

"Frexing" -the world's oldest past-time and the favored activity of all of the Feeders that live on the spaceship Godspeed, when the "Season" is active. And I don't mean the social season for high society. I'm talking about the scheduled mating season on Godspeed where everyone gets an extra dose of hormones in their water so they can be in an optimal mood to openly frex like rabbits in the garden, in the hallways, in the middle of the road, in the corn fields or anywhere there's an open patch of space not already occupied by their neighbors.

Amy is not from Godspeed. She and her parents are from Sol-Earth but they have decided to move to a new planet, Centauri-Earth and aid in its development and colonization. The planet is about 250 years away though so they are being transported on Godspeed via cryo chambers. So imagine Amy's surprise when she is awoken from her cryo chamber about 200 years too early and now has to live on a ship from the Twilight Zone with about 2000 people who are mind controlled by the drug Phydus so they are calm and will conform yet, they think she's the one who isn't normal.

So this story wasn't quite what I was expecting but it was still very entertaining to say the least. It's actually part murder mystery which I always enjoy so I really liked trying to figure out who the culprit was. It wasn't that hard to solve but it was still fun.The ship has some crazy shenanigans going on though and some of the characters aren't very likable but that's really part of the story so you just have to go into it with an open mind and be prepared for anything. It also portrays some heavy issues like suicide and rape though so if you don't like reading about those you might want to steer clear of this one.