EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

The Continuum Trilogy- Book #1...

— feeling smile
The 13th Continuum: The Continuum Trilogy, Book 1 - Jennifer DeVere Brody

1000 years ago, 13 Continuums were created to shelter a number of people to prevent complete extinction if a cataclysmic event called "The Doom" ever came to pass. The 13th Continuum is an underwater colony set at the bottom of the ocean. Some of their leaders over the years have conspired to implement a very strict regime in order to prevent their colony from learning about the 13th Continuums and their true purpose. In parallel, we also learn about another Continuum; a military colony set in outer space on the planet Mars. Their society is a lot different but they both suffer from similar strict regimes. The book follows the stories of those two Continuums as they battle with their respective leaders, piece together their true purpose and fight to save their dying colonies.

The cool settings are what really attracted me to this book in the first place. I loved both the underwater colony and the Mars colony but I thought the entire concept was pretty unique. I also thought the two parallel storylines worked well together. At the beginning though, there was quite a bit of an info dump that I didn't quite care for. The information I think was relevant and a necessary part of the story but I wish it could have somehow been worked in better. There were also a few things that I thought could have used a little more back story but other then that I really enjoyed the book. I thought the author, Jennifer Brody, did a great job on her debut and I'm looking forward to starting book two, Return of the Continuums, this weekend.

*I received this ARC from Edelweiss & Turner Publishing in exchange for an honest review! Thank you!

Clean Sweep ARC Challenhe