EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

Kale, Corn Pone & Dandelion Greens...

— feeling hungry
Ashen Winter  - Mike Mullin

Sound yummy?! Not to me either but that's about the extent of their daily diet after the supervolcano eruption, that is unless you're a Flenser aka a Cannibal. : ) I would have to pass on that too!

One of the things though I like about this series is how in-depth the author gets with their survival tactics & resourcefulness. They've built everything from a grinding mill and greenhouses to a bike with skis to traverse the snow and ash and a truck that runs off of propane. They build everything with whatever supplies they have on hand or can scrounge up. Never in a million years would I be able to come up with some of the ideas they do so if I had to survive through a volcanic winter I would definitely want to do it with this group, not the Flensers of course : ) but with the main characters, Alex and Darla.

There's a never a dull moment in this series and they're always on the move from city to city getting into something which is fun. I like the changes of scenery. The author also introduced a character with autism. His name is Ben and I absolutely loved him! He was my favorite character in this second book so I hope to see more of him in the next one.