empressreece

Hooked on Books

Avid Multi-Genre Reader. Lover of Books with Unique Settings. Audiobook Fanatic. Sweet Tea Addict. Mom of Two Boys & Mistress of Two Very Energetic Black Kittens.  -Empress Reece

Land of Bones: 14 Tales of the Strange and Macabre
Glenn Rolfe
All Systems Red
Martha Wells

Daddy's Girl - 4.5 stars...

The Wolf Road: A Novel - Beth Irwin Lewis

The Wolf Road is about a seven year old girl named Elka who due to a "thunderhead" aka a violent storm, she ends up all on her own. She's taken in and raised by a man she calls Trapper. He teachers her how to trap, hunt and survive in the woods. When she gets older though she sees a wanted poster of Trapper and realizes that he may not be the man she thought he was. This leads Elka to head out on her own and head North in search of her parents and a new life but Trapper won't let her go as easily as that and neither will the magistrate who is also hunting them both.

This book is written in the same style backwoods country dialect as Moira Young's Dust Lands series so if you've read that series and liked the style I would say give this one a go, but if you didn't like it then you probably won't enjoy this one either. I personally like the style- I think it sets the scene and gives you a more atmospheric read but I think the writing in this book wasn't as smooth as it is in Young's. It was a little more jarring and harder to read but it was still highly engaging.  I also thoroughly enjoyed the outdoor wilderness setting, the rough characters and the cat and mouse plot. It was really nice to see a different, unique take on a post-apocalyptic novel. I look forward to seeing what else the author brings to the table.

*I received this ARC from NetGalley & Crown Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Professional Reader Challenge Participant Reviews Published