EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

The Monkeewrench Crew - 3.5 stars...

The Sixth Idea (A Monkeewrench Novel) - P.J. Tracy

The Sixth Idea is the seventh book in the Monkeewrench series. It features a group of eccentric computer hackers who use their skills and resources to help the police catch criminals.

What originally endeared me to this mother-daughter author duo and the Monkeewrench series were the quirky cast of characters and their penchant for computers. They are so genuine and likeable that you can't help but fall for them and as a fellow tech enthusiast I really love how the investigations focus primarily on the technical side of things.

In this story though I felt like the characters lost some of their magic. We didn't get to see much of the colorful personalities that the crew are known for and I think that's a crucial part of this series.

Also, I don't think the mystery was executed as well as it could have been. I enjoy trying to guess the clues and where they're leading but I don't expect to actually figure it all out. Well in this investigation I was one step ahead the entire time. What's the fun in that? I prefer a little more challenge and complexity in the mystery and a lot more twists then what this plot presented.

I have a soft spot though for this rag-tag crew so I know I'll keep an eye out for their next job but I hope the authors return to their excellent style of writing and characterization that we saw in the first couple of books.

*I received this ARC from the First to Read program in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!