EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

This is One Call You Can't Ignore! - 4.5 stars...

The Call - Peadar Ó Guilín

Synopsis:

"Imagine a world where you might disappear any minute, only to find yourself alone in a grey sickly land, with more horrors in it than you would ever wish to know about. And then you hear a horn and you know that whoever lives in this hell has got your scent and the hunt has already begun. Could you survive the Call?"

I seem to be on a roll this week reading really good books! This is another fantastic book but it's so different I'm at loss at how to even describe it. It's like a cross between a horror, dystopian survival & Irish folklore fantasy story all rolled in to one. Different can be a good thing though and that's one of the reasons I liked the story so much. The world building was so creative! It is very dark & grim and after reading about the horrors they suffer through at the hands of the Sidhe fairies, you probably won't want anyone to touch you ever again. It's a pretty intense ride, especially just waiting to see who was going to be "called" next! If you're looking for something different to shake things up a bit, this will do it!

I couldn't tell from the ending if there's going to be a sequel but if there is, I'll definitely come back for more!

*I received this ARC from Edelweiss & Scholastic Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

**I read this for my 2016 Halloween Bingo: ~Creepy Crawlies~ square

because it will definitely give you that feeling and more. The grey lands are filled with all kind of horrors like like spider trees hungry for flesh. : )