Hooked on Books

Avid Multi-Genre Reader. Lover of Books with Unique Settings. Audiobook Fanatic. Sweet Tea Addict. Mom of Two Boys & Mistress of Two Very Energetic Black Kittens.  -Empress Reece

The Invisible Library
Lila Bowen
Progress: 15 %

An English Country House Mystery

An English Murder - Cyril Hare

I was in the mood for a good Country House mystery so I decided to read An English Murder by Cyril Hare. The Lord of the manor is ill and bedridden so he decides to invite several family members and close friends to his home at Warbeck Hall for one last Christmas holiday gathering.

There's an undercurrent of tension amongst the guests right from the start. They dislike each other for a multitude of reasons- politics, love triangle, racism, classism- you name it.

With that said, the characters are really the downfall of this book to me. None of them were very likeable at all which made the book kind of dreary and boring to me.

Also just a heads up, if you are thinking of waiting until Christmas to read as holiday book its really not necessary. This isn't really a festive story and the holiday is only mentioned a couple times, if that.