empressreece

Hooked on Books

Avid Multi-Genre Reader. Lover of Books with Unique Settings. Audiobook Fanatic. Sweet Tea Addict. Mom of Two Boys & Mistress of Two Very Energetic Black Kittens.  -Empress Reece

Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea
Steven Callahan
Subhuman (A Unit 51 Novel)
Michael McBride
Despite Lupus: How to Live Well with a Chronic Illness (1)
Sara Gorman
A is for Arsenic: The Poisons of Agatha Christie
Kathryn Harkup
Progress: 3 %

Renegade Star: Renegade Star Series Book 1

Renegade Star - JN Chaney

I've read some of Chaney's other books and really enjoyed them but I'll be honest I've been hesitant to read this series because of the awful covers. I know, I know, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I think subconsciously I still do it. Anyways, I was in the mood for a light story last night so I said what the hell, lets go for it and it actually ended up being the perfect book. It was so much fun! It seriously reminded me of an Indiana Jones movie set in space with it's similar group of scholarly characters following a map, silly banter and the same non-stop, stay one-step ahead of your pursuers, action.

The main character, Jace, is a Renegade which is basically a thief that takes odd jobs stealing and transporting things for money. Jobs have been few and far between lately and he's in desperate need of quick cash to pay back the money he borrowed from a loan shark to buy a cloaking device for his ship. So against his better judgment, he takes on a job transporting a "nun," Sister Abigail, and her suspicious crate of supposed medical supplies. When he starts hearing sounds coming from the crate, he learns what it really contains and that the Union military and every Ravager in the system is hunting Abigail and her package. With no option to return home now, he decides to go all in with Abigail and her group, joining them on their ultimate quest to find the long lost planet Earth.

If you're an Indiana Jones fan or really liked Revenger by Alistair Reynolds, I think you would enjoy this. It has the best of both worlds.