empressreece

Hooked on Books

Avid Multi-Genre Reader. Lover of Books with Unique Settings. Audiobook Fanatic. Sweet Tea Addict. Mom of Two Boys & Mistress of Two Very Energetic Black Kittens.  -Empress Reece

Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea
Steven Callahan
Subhuman (A Unit 51 Novel)
Michael McBride
Despite Lupus: How to Live Well with a Chronic Illness (1)
Sara Gorman
Kill Creek
Scott Thomas

A Dangerous Crossing...

A Dangerous Crossing - Rachel Rhys

This is very much a character-driven story about a group of passengers traveling from Britain to Australia on the SS Orontes to start a new life. They each have their own secrets and reasons for leaving their old life behind. As the 5 week voyage progresses, and class lines are blurred and relationships are formed- those secrets slowly rise to the surface under the strain of living in close proximity, with unbearable heat and mounting tension. It all comes to a head the night before departure, in one last explosive scene at their farewell ball.

I enjoyed this story and the characters immensely! They were all so well developed. The author also did a fantastic job keeping the reader in suspense throughout the entire book. You could really feel the underlying currents of tension and secrecy running among the main characters. I already miss the voyage myself, so much so, that I'm searching for another good shipboard story to read immediately.