EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

The Dreamwalking Diviners

Lair of Dreams - Libba Bray

I fell in love with The Diviners. The story and the audio narration featuring January LaVoy was fantastic! The Lair of Dreams audiobook also features LaVoy so I decided to listen to it instead of reading. I guess because The Diviners was so good, I really went into this with very high expectations. I should know by now, not to do that so I'm not left feeling disappointed which is exactly what happened to me. I started listening to the introduction and it was so unbelievably boring. I was thinking you've got to be kidding me-this is not happening! I really almost quit listening, but decided to give it a little bit longer.

The story is primarily about Diviners with the talent of dreamwalking. There is a sleeping sickness occurring throughout the city and the Dreamwalkers have to figure out the cause and find a way to stop it. It just seemed to me like they spent an awful lot of time dreamwalking and so did I.

Really though, after I got past the introduction, the story did become remarkably better but it wasn't anywhere near as good as The Diviners. There wasn't anything in particular I didn't like, but the story line just fell flat for me. I know the Lair of Dreams had some pretty big shoes to fill, following in The Diviners footsteps, but unfortunately it didn't even come close. Hopefully book #3 will...