EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

Silo #18

Wool - Hugh Howey

I loved it-it was fantastic! I really liked how Howey sucks you in at the beginning by throwing you little tidbits at a time about the world and the current dynamics. Some authors try to do that but they can't pull it off. You end up completely lost or could careless about what the hell they are talking about. But not Howey- he pulls you right in and makes you want to keep reading until you find out.

Another thing I liked about it was even though the story is about the dynamics of the underground society and the hierarchical structure, well that's not all it's about, it's about survival too but it wasn't crammed full of intricate political systems and stupid distracting lingo that gives you a headache just reading it. Yes they have their own society and rules but it doesn't overshadow the characters and plot at all.

What I didn't care for though was the ending. Don't get me wrong- it wasn't terrible. I wasn't cussing anyone out or throwing things afterwords but I did think it was rushed. I would have liked to hear more about what happened with the society and silo 17 & 18 after the last "big cleaning" but instead it felt like the author probably had a deadline due so just chopped it off in a hurry. Yeah I definitely could have used a few more chapters to fully tie up the end but it was still a great story though!

*If anyone knows of any more good dystopian/post-apocalyptic books similar to this style that you think I might like, please let me know. I would really appreciate it! This one was right up my alley so would love to find some more to read. Thx!