EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

The Last Apprentice: Curse of the Bane (Book 2) CD

The Last Apprentice: Curse of the Bane (Book 2) CD - Joseph Delaney Curse of the Bane is the 2nd book in the The Last Apprentice Series by Joseph Delaney. In this one Tom is still studying to become a Spook. He gets to bind his first Boggart which is actually pretty interesting. I've learned more about witches, boggarts, spooks & curses in this one series then I have in my entire life. At least if I run into a witch or a boggart, I'll know how to bind it and what type of pit to dig etc. You never know when that will come in handy.

I really like the main characters too- Tom, Alice and Tom's master, the Spook. I think Alice might be my favorite character.  She was raised by bad witches but she hasn't crossed over yet to the dark side. She has the potential to be a good witch or a bad witch so I'm curious to find out which way she goes or if she stays somewhere in between. I'm sure if I was a witch I would be a little of both too so I guess I just relate to her more. : )

One thing I am tired of though, is hearing Tom talk about his mam! Omg his mam is this, his mam is that.  His mam makes the best this, she cooks the best that, she hung the moon, she ran 50 miles uphill in the snow. Blah blah blah. Cut the cord for goodness sake! If my boys talked about me like that I probably wouldn't be complaining though right. Lol  I'm just glad they aren't listening to this series. I don't want them to get any ideas. Hey mom, why don't you do that? I mean, who can compete with that?

The audio books have been fairly short so I've been moving right along in the series. The narrator is also still the same as the first book and he is really good which is always a make or break for me. I still don't recommend for younger middle grade though. They need to stick with Harry Potter or something because this series has more of a dark magic feel to it with a little gore and horror mixed in. Definitely better for teens or older and great for adults too. : )