EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

Òahu to Hilo...

The Islands at the End of the World - Austin Aslan

Imagine being in Hawaii when a global disaster strikes, cut-off not only from the mainland, but also from your home island. That's what happens to 16 year old, epileptic, Leilani and her father when they leave their home of Hilo and fly to Òahu for the week, to participate in medical research study. After the disaster hits they find themselves trapped on the island with minimal amounts of food and medicine, trying to navigate a way home among millions of freaked out tourists, an over-bearing military and militant locals.

The first three-quarters of this book was good. I enjoyed the survival part of the story and I liked how it was set in Hawaii and it was blended with Hawaiian language and culture.

Then we get to the last quarter of the book and it wiped out harder then Niccolo Porcella! The cause of the disaster and how they came to this conclusion was so out there it was beyond belief. It really kind of ruined a good story.

Also just a heads up, there is a good bit of stuff about god and beliefs and Hawaiian gods, prayers & mythology etc. within the story. I was actually kind of surprised it wasn't listed as Christian fiction or whatever the title is. But anyways, if you don't mind that kind of thing & decide to give it a try, make sure you go into the ending with a very open mind because you'll definitely need it.