EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

Floating City in the Sky...

Perfect Ruin - Lauren DeStefano

First off, the covers for this series are just gorgeous! But what I fell in love with the most, was the concept -a floating city in the sky where you can be anything you want to be as long as you follow one rule. Don't go close to the edge!

The world building was really unique and well thought out. I enjoyed learning about the city of Internment and the society that they live in. The main characters were also really likable and I even enjoyed the romance between Morgan & Basil. The story though was a little slow moving and I felt like it was just missing that extra spark to make it a 5 star read for me. I also found several grammatical errors which I was very surprised by since this series is contracted under a well known publisher. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to rate this 3.5 or 4 stars. The ending though was very good and really what finally pushed me over to 4 stars. Either way, I am definitely going to continue the series. I am thoroughly invested in the characters and want to see how the story plays out for them.

*I want to again thank my blind valentine, Rachel the Book Harlot, for this wonderful gift which allowed me to escape to an amazing floating city in the sky for a few hours!