EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

The Ice Limit Sequel...

— feeling cyclop
Beyond the Ice Limit: A Gideon Crew Novel (Gideon Crew series) - Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Sometimes I just get in the mood for a little fun and entertainment and no one does it better then Preston & Child! Years ago when I first came across them, I devoured all of their individual and their combined books, one right after the other because I just couldn't get enough! They are that good & I've yet to come across a book of theirs that I haven't liked. Now some I rave over a little more then others of course, but every single book of theirs have been solid, well-written stories. I've tried to find other comparable authors so I can continue my arm chair adventures Preston & Child style while I'm waiting for a new book of theirs to drop but I've yet to come across anyone even remotely close to their capabilities. The other books I've tried usually have either corny characters I can't relate to or cheesy dialogue that's just annoying and distracts from the plot so needless to say, when a new Preston & Child book comes out I'm all over it!

This sequel to The Ice Limit especially, I've been waiting for. It's been a long time coming. If you're a big fan like me you're imagination has probably been running wild trying to guess which direction this sequel was going to go. I can honestly say my guesses were not even remotely close. I knew though that this sequel was going to have some pretty big shoes to fill because the original story was fantastic! Like with a lot of Preston & Child books though, you have to willingly suspend your disbelief and this one was no different but I found I had a harder time with this one. I just didn't care for the route it took with the 'alien' origins of the meteorite or the "worms." I also thought the ending was very anti-climatic! Overall, the sequel didn't live up to the original story unfortunately but it was still a fun story; good for when you want some entertainment that doesn't require a lot of brain power.

*I received this ARC from NetGalley & Grand Central Publishing in exchange for an honest review! Thank you!

Professional Reader Challenge Participant Reviews Published