EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

A Fantastical World of Demon Hunters...

A Darker Shade of Sorcery. (The Realmers Series- Book 1) - William Collins

I really enjoyed the opening of this book. It reeled me in so that I wanted to hear more. I also think the premise and the world building have a lot of potential. Once I got about midway through though, the story became weighted down with a lot of unnecessary filler and I started losing interest.

I recently read a book where the writing didn't align with the projected audience and I think this is another book that fits that bill. The characters, the fantastical elements, the plot and the simplistic writing style are all more appropriate for the children's middle grade genre but the length of the book, a lot of the dialogue, the cursing and the violence are all geared toward older teens and young adults. So I honestly just think this book would benefit tremendously from an editing overhaul and alignment toward the targeted audience.

*I received this ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review! Thank you!