empressreece

Hooked on Books

Avid Multi-Genre Reader. Lover of Books with Unique Settings. Audiobook Fanatic. Sweet Tea Addict. Mom of Two Boys & Mistress of Two Very Energetic Black Kittens.  -Empress Reece

Land of Bones: 14 Tales of the Strange and Macabre
Glenn Rolfe
All Systems Red
Martha Wells

A Fantastical World of Demon Hunters...

A Darker Shade of Sorcery. (The Realmers Series- Book 1) - William Collins

I really enjoyed the opening of this book. It reeled me in so that I wanted to hear more. I also think the premise and the world building have a lot of potential. Once I got about midway through though, the story became weighted down with a lot of unnecessary filler and I started losing interest.

I recently read a book where the writing didn't align with the projected audience and I think this is another book that fits that bill. The characters, the fantastical elements, the plot and the simplistic writing style are all more appropriate for the children's middle grade genre but the length of the book, a lot of the dialogue, the cursing and the violence are all geared toward older teens and young adults. So I honestly just think this book would benefit tremendously from an editing overhaul and alignment toward the targeted audience.

*I received this ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review! Thank you!