EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

Ghost of "Gruhuken" - 4.5 stars....

— feeling ghost
Dark Matter - Michelle Paver

I am immensely fascinated with the Artic so anytime I find a book set in the area, I snap them up. I also love a good ghost story so if you combine the two I'm in heaven! And that's exactly what you'll find in Dark Matter so I knew going into it, that it just had to be good.

In 1937, a 28 year old, down-on-his luck guy named Jack, is offered the chance to join an Artic expedition to a remote uninhabited area named Gruhuken. From the start, the expedition is cursed with problems and after departing, the crew learns that Gruhuken may not be the picturesque & "uninhabited" area they were hoping for...

This is the perfect ghost story especially for a cold winter night. It's chilling, spooky and very atmospheric! I wish the ending was extended a little more though and that's the only reason I didn't give it a full five stars. The loose ends were tied up nicely but I felt like they were rushed and compacted into just a few pages. Actually the book was so good I could have used about 100 more pages but even a few more would have been nice. If you like ghost stories though, you don't want to miss this one.