EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

Bookburners Season One: Episode 5 - 4.5 stars...

Bookburners: The Market Arcanum (Season 1, Episode 5) - Mur Lafferty, Max Gladstone, Margaret Dunlap, Brian Francis Slattery

It's that time of year for The Market Arcanum. The Market is a 3 day event held at Beltane where practitioners of magic can gather together on neutral ground. "It's part auction, part high-level diplomatic conference for every power player who uses magic to rig the game." This year Menchú, a priest and leader of their team, has invited Sal to attend with him so that she can learn what the Market's all about. Not everyone there is playing by the rules though. The billionaire owner of the yacht, Fair Weather, is out to seek revenge on the Bookburners and he wants his book back.

This episode was written by Margaret Dunlap. I really liked the Market concept of convening all of the major players that deal in magic together but I would have liked to learn more about the other players and their specialties. We did get a glimpse of what the Techno-Cultists do but that was about it. Hopefully though, one of the future episodes we'll expand on the Market and the other players.

*I received Bookburners: The Complete Season One from NetGalley & Serial Box Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Professional Reader Reviews Published