EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

The Pine Barrens...

The Jersey Devil - Hunter Shea

I love horror stories based on old legends so I was excited about reading this book. The legend goes that the Jersey Devil haunts the Pine Barrens of Southern New Jersey and he's always looking for prey...

Shea then takes that legend to another level. I enjoyed the whole creature feature aspect and I thought the main characters, Norm the famous cryptozoologist and the Willet family who's been haunted by the Jersey Devil for years, were pretty cool.

What I didn't particularly care for though was the whole human & creature sex/rape thing. I thought that whole story line was just too much. I like stories and scare more easily if they're a little more realistic. Then there was another part were Shea compared the Jersey Devil to a cross between a child with down syndrome and a goat. I mean really?!- Political correctness went straight out the window with this book- just a heads up!

So the book could definitely use some more editing. Not only for the above mentioned, but in my copy there weren't any clear separations between POVs so it was confusing to read. It was one of those books where I had to read, then back up, then read again. Plus there were way too many side stories and extraneous characters that I think the story could have done without.

Overall I enjoyed it until it went off the rails and went beyond my willingness to suspend my disbelief but I'm sure there are others who may enjoy it. If you don't particularly care for stories with rape in the subject matter though, then you might want to steer clear.

*I received this ARC from NetGalley & Kensington Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Professional Reader Reviews Published 2016 NetGalley Challenge