EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

Reborn at 75....

Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) - John Scalzi, William Dufris

When I turn 75, if I have a chance to get my young, toned, wrinkle-free, 20 year old body back- with improvements, in exchange for a stint in the military (hence the title Old Man's War), I'm going for it- you won't have to ask me twice! All aging adults are given this option by the Colonial Defense Forces, who are responsible for seizing and colonizing surrounding planets. When the main character-John Perry, turns 75, he goes down to the enlistment office & signs on the dotted line. The story follows him as he is sent off to space and reborn into a young CDF soldier.

I've always heard great things about Scalzi but this is the first time I had a chance to see for myself & I wasn't disappointed. He is a fantastic writer! I really enjoyed his ingenious technical concepts & creativity the most. He really nailed the hard science. He literally broke down the science to a level where you think- hey this could work and truly made the unbelievable, believable!

I can't say enough good things about this book. It's now one of my favorite sci-fi stories. I listened to the audio version and the narrator's performance was above par too. Granted, I do always speed my playback up to 1.3 or 1.4 though so the narration isn't so slow but regardless he still made a 5 star book even better. Anyone with a technical or non-technical background, I think can enjoy this book so don't wait like I did, just read it.