EmpressReece

Hooked on Books

Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Angela J. Townsend
Progress: 274/274 pages
The Other Side of Midnight
Simone St. James
Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth Book 1)
David L. Owen
Progress: 12 %
Stiletto: A Novel
Daniel O'Malley, Hachette Audio, Moira Quirk
Progress: 31 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book 1
Jim Butcher, -Penguin Audio-, Euan Morton
Progress: 11 %

Bookburners The Complete Season One...

Bookburners The Complete Season One - Mur Lafferty, Max Gladstone, Margaret Dunlap, Brian Francis Slattery

Bookburners is a serial about a detective named Sal Brooks who joins a secret Vatican Black-Ops Squad after her brother gets possessed by demons after handling an ancient text that houses dark magic and demons. The squad is tasked with retrieving these books and securing them in their archives before more demons are spread through the world.

I wasn't sure what to expect going in to this but I knew the serial was about books so I couldn't pass it up. I'm glad I didn't. I thoroughly enjoyed every episode! There's a little bit of mystery, a little action, lots of magic and a great cast of some pretty cool and quirky characters too.

There are 16 episodes and each episode is fairly short so you can read through them pretty quickly when you don't have a lot of time but they pack a lot into a few pages. Also, the serial is written by four different authors that rotate episodes so you're in for a little something different each time which I really liked. I thought the four authors, Max Gladstone, Brian Francis Slattery, Mur Lafferty & Margaret Dunlap did a fantastic job collaborating and keeping the stories tied together and flowing naturally which I imagine isn't an easy thing to do with multiple personalities and writing styles.

I've gotten hooked on this serial so I definitely plan to continue with Season 2. A whole new set of authors are featured so I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store for the Bookburners.

Episode 1 Review

Episode 13 Review

Episode 14 Review

Episode 15 Review

Episode 16 Review- The Finale

*I received Bookburners: Complete Season One ARC from NetGalley & Serial Box Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Professional Reader Reviews Published2016 NetGalley Challenge